A selection of photographies from 1840s till 1960s with a comment for each photo.
Cremorne Gardens, Chelsea, c. 1860
A century earlier, Cremorne existed as a public pleasure ground from 1845 to 1877 and featured fountains, grottoes, and leafy pathways. There was also a Thames-side maze, a marionette theatre, and a bowling saloon to popularise the resort. Following closure, the Cremorne site was intensively built up with a grid of new streets, all of which suffered from pollution from Lots Road Power Station, which was built from 1902–05 on part of the Cremorne grounds – it provided electricity for the Underground. The lost beauty of old Cremorne is caught on this stereoscopic card.